“Ok Google, what’s the temperature?” It is one of the best known and used actions of the Google Assistant on our mobile. However, it is only a small part of what the wizard is capable of . And it is that, as you may have already known from the title of this post, there are many commands to be executed by this tool.
In this post we will see what are the most interesting actions that we can ask Google Assistant , which is installed natively on all Android phones (except Huawei). You will only have to access this wizard and ask (or write) any of the many actions that we will see below.
The best commands for Google Assistant
Google Assistant is activated by default on all new Android phones (except Huawei), even if the terminal has its own assistant. Each terminal has its activation method for Assistant, but it is usually invoked by pressing and holding the home button or, if we have Android 10, moving diagonally from the corners of the terminal. Once we have it open, the list of possibilities is practically infinite.
Control of system settings and applications
With voice control we can manage several of the system functions , as well as manage the opening of applications. The logic here is to think about what you want to open, close, activate or deactivate and tell the assistant about it. The list is quite extensive.
- Open [app name]. Ex: Instagram, WhatsApp, Facebook, etc.
- Turns the [setting name] on/off. Ex: Bluetooth, WiFi, data, etc.
- Volume up/down
- Turn up/down the brightness
- take a selfie
- take a photo
- record a video
- I want to hear [artist we want to hear]
- mute the volume
- Turn the volume up
- Show me photos from (any Google Photos album or category). Ex: cats, dogs, Madrid, buildings, etc.
- What’s on my screen?
- Open my Google account settings
- Show my Google search history
- Adjust Google security settings
messages and calls
At the level of messaging and calls, Google commands help us to do the basics. Just ask him to call someone or send him a message to be able to do it without having to touch the phone.
- Call [name]
- Send an [app] message to [name] and tell him [message]
- Send an email to [name] and tell him that [text body]
- Send an SMS to [name] and tell him that [text body]
The Google Assistant allows us to consult the time in a quite dynamic and personalized way based on what we ask. One thing to keep in mind is that the default weather information is that of weather.com, so that you know where the data that it is telling you comes from.
- What is the weather going to be like today?
- Is it going to be hot/cold today?
- The weather in [city name]
- What is the weather going to be like on [day] in [city name]
- Is it going to rain in [city name]?
Setting alarms with your voice is one of the fastest features in Assistant . We do not have to go into the clock app and configure it manually, just ask it in a few words to do it.
- Set an alarm at [time]
- Add an alarm at [time]
- Wake me up tomorrow at [time]
- Turn off the next alarm
- Turn off all alarms
- Set an alarm on [day] at [time]
The same case of alarms is repeated with reminders. Just tell him that we want him to remind us of something . In the same way, thanks to the Assistant routines, we can obtain daily information of interest just by saying “good morning” to the Assistant.
- Remind me that [whatever you want me to remind you of]
- Put a timer inside [as long as we want]
- Put a countdown of [as long as we want]
- What do I have for today?
- How will my day be?
- Create a calendar event for [whatever we want to do] on [day] at [time]
- What plans do I have for tomorrow?
- When is my next meeting?
- Where have I parked?
transportation and travel
If we are traveling or looking to organize it, we can ask the assistant . It may be even more effective than asking a native speaker. Google saves information about locations, flights, journeys and more, so we can ask you almost anything.
- How to get to [site]
- I want to go to [site]
- Where I am?
- Where is the nearest [establishment]?
- How long does it take to go to [site]?
- Interesting places in [city, country]
- Place of interest in [city, country]
- How is the traffic in [city]
- What flights are there to [country, city] on [day]?
- I want a train to [city, country]
- I want a bus to [city, country]
- Where can I have dinner today?
- tell me a good place to eat
- Map of [country, city]
- take me to my work
- Take me Home
- How far is it between [site] and [site]
If we want Google to remember someone’s name (or nickname), all we have to do is tell it . The Assistant will tell us that “he writes it down”, and this information will be saved on the phone.
- [Name] is my mother/father
- [Name] is my boss
- I want you to call me [name or nickname]
- My father/mother is called [name]
- My boss is called [name]
- My dog is called [name]
- My girlfriend’s name is [name]
information of all kinds
Google voice commands go far beyond specific functions. As the Assistant is integrated with the search engine, we can ask everything that comes to mind . The advantage is that it is very likely that the Assistant will respond to us in a fairly “human” way, without us even having to read the results it shows us.
- How many days are there until Christmas?
- When is [famous person]’s birthday?
- How much is [multiplication, addition, subtraction, division, etc.]?
- What is half of [number]?
- Where was Pablo Escobar born?
- How old am I?
- Where is my package?
- How much is Tesla publicly traded?
- What noise does a pig make?
- What does [word] mean?
- How is the moon today?
- How is the IBEX 35?
- Who is the president of Spain?
- How old is [famous person]?
- Husband/wife of [famous person]
- Macaroni with tomato recipe
- How many euros are 100 Juanes?
- Tell me synonyms/antonyms of [word]
- Who invented electricity?
Games and leisure
Finally, highlight the great work that Google has done at the level of entertainment. His assistant has integrated many games , stories, riddles, tongue twisters and others, which allow us to kill time when we have nothing better to do.
- flip a coin
- Heads or tails
- Tell me a number from 1 to 5
- roll a dice
- I want to play something
- tell me a riddle
- Tell me a joke
- tell me a tongue twister
- sing me a reggaeton
- Tell me a story
- Talk about yourself
- tell me a scary story
- What is the longest word in the world
- The hardest word in the world
- Tell me something
- I’m getting bored
- something random funny
- surprise me
- Interesting data
- tell me a proverb
- Tell me nearby events
- tell me funny things